Bunions have many causes including:
- Family history – if your Mum had them you probably will.
- Sex – bunions are far more common in women than men.
- Tight shoes don’t cause bunions but they will make them worse and more painful.
- Poor biomechanics – excessive pronation will cause bunions.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Bone length and shape.
- Muscle imbalance.
Podiatrists at Orthotika will :
- Provide footwear advice.
- Carry out an orthopaedic assessment to establish whether poor foot biomechanics is responsible and recommend orthotics (insoles).
- Advise on bunion protection.
- Advise on the types of surgery that maybe available.
- Make a recommendation on referral for bunion surgery.
- Remove any callus caused by the bunion.
Click Here to download Orthotika’s information sheet on Athlete’s Foot.